Friday, April 19, 2013

gClassFolders is awesome!

**This post has been sitting in my draft folder for about 2 months, so I finally just published it...***
So Andrew Stillman +Andrew Stillman is a GoogleApps Script genious. He has collaborated with Bjorn Behrendt to create the ultimate workflow for Google Apps for Edu (GAFE). As I previously posted, I love using formEmailer. I have extended the Scripts capabilities to utilize more powerful aspects in my math class integrations.

Here is a running diary (a la SportsGuy on ESPN: Example here.) of my integration of gClassFolders version 2.0.

Friday, February 15
10:50AM
See this tweet from @astillman:


Super excited about the new sharing of folders for student assignments, so I click on the link to get the Script!

11:05 
Checked out the documentation here and realized how powerful the integration will be. I have been using various workflows to organize my student data along with sending them personalized assignments and graded rubrics (more to come in future posts).

11:10
Clicked on the link to "Make a copy of gClassFolders2.0"

11:12
Refreshed the browser to make the gClassFolders custom tab show up.

11:20
Used the pushData console to push the student data into the gClassRoster tab from my Master Student List Spreadsheet.

Here is a great video that shows a lot of the capabilities of Google Scripts in school capacities. pushData can be found by searching the Tools->Script Gallery
11:46
Realized that using pushData would not format the data that is pushed in the correct columns due to the way I had them formatted in the Student Master List sheet. So, I reorganized the columns to match up with the gClassFolders headers.

12:05
Finished reorganized header data in source spreadsheet and pushData into gClassFolders2.0!

12:10
Installed gClassFolders2.0 and created my folders for 117 different students!!